Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I Love Paleo

Paleo has been this catalyst… and I know that I will probably be eating like this for the rest of my life. There are several things that assist in keeping the decision solid: my skin clearing up, and that the weight is coming off to name the big ones. But, it is also how I feel. Even when I am starving hungry, it is a different hungry than when I was eating all that crap. This is more of a "Hello, this is your stomach, please eat something" rather than the "HARVEY NEED FOOD NOW -GRRRRRR". Harvey being the name I gave that very nasty mood that took over when my blood sugar would drop when I got hungry, usually the shakes and nausea would follow. This usually resulted in my consuming a huge amount of pasta, or french fries. And, as I have been typing this out, it has just occurred to me that I haven't gotten the shakes from being hungry since starting Paleo. Like it wasn't hunger that gave me the shakes, it wasn't having sugar and/or glutton. That is kind of scary, now that I think about it.

There is something infinitely more satisfying about life when I know that what I’m putting into my body is good for it and also that the work-outs I am doing at CrossFit give me a much greater since of accomplishment. I mean – it is so much better for the psyche than the endless hamster wheel that is the elliptical machine at the gym. I also have camaraderie while working out and have made new friends. After a particularly difficult WOD (workout of the day) we talk and joke while regaining the use of our appendages. I have never thought that I would be one of those people that willingly gets up at 5:15 to go work out. But I am, and I love it. Also, my coffee drinking is way down, because after CrossFit - I don't need any caffeine.

And the most interesting thing that has changed, is the Internet searches that I do. It used to be that I would start obsessing about something or the other, and trying to locate it (never mind that I didn't need a new coat, purse, pair of boots, the epic 7 month search for the "perfect white bag") and actually get into a world class bad mood if I couldn't locate it! These days, I hunt down Paleo recipes and read my Nigella Lawson cookbooks for meal ideas, (altering the Nigella to Paleo when needed). And I am having so much fun doing it.

No comments: